By Cam McLellan
In a rapid fire interview with Matt Lewison former Qld GM of Peet Limited and Co-Founder of OpenCorp discloses the 10 biggest mistakes made by property investors.
Here they are, in no particular order……..
The 10 biggest mistakes made by property investors!
• Buying a property close to home (so they can drive past)
• Self-managing tenants
• Buying at auction
• Buying older properties (with no potential to add real value)
• Buying based on the look or feel of a place
• Asking a real estate agent for advice
• Selling to realise a profit (when they should refinance and save the tax)
• Paying off debt (when they should create a redraw facility)
• Selling property to transfer into self-managed super funds (to purchase property)
• No finance clause included in the contract
• Cancelling a contract under the ‘cooling off ’ option rather than the finance clause
• Failing to get an expert to review the contract
• Buying in regional or rural areas
• No strategy for mitigating risk
• Waiting for a downturn in the market
• Waiting for the deal of a lifetime
• Buying for ‘future development upside’ on the open market
• Chasing the lowest interest rate option
• Not having the correct ownership or financial structures in place
• Not allowing for all purchase costs (stamp duty, mortgage registration, LMI)
• Taking an approved finance limit as an unconditional commitment from the bank
• Selling property to finance lifestyle.
On second thoughts, maybe there are more than 10!
Here is a list of posts we think you might be interested in.
By Cam McLellan Building wealth through property is no different to most things in life. It’s all about mindset – if you tell yourself you can’t do it, chances...
By Cam McLellan Enjoy the life you are living and want to keep it up in retirement? It is very achievable to retire your household on $200,000 a year,...
We all pay tax, but how do we make sure our tax return efforts benefit us in the long term? *This is a transcript from a conversation with Michael...
BE A SUCCESSFUL PROPERTY INVESTOR
We can show you how to reduce risk and pick a top performing property like an expert.